Choose the photos from your own collection on your Mac or websites like Flickr, Unsplash, Pixabay, Vladstudio, Pinterest and many more besides. You’ll never know what’s coming next – maybe photos from a recent holiday, landscapes from far and distant lands, pictures of small kittens or equally small dogs. If you’re having a tough day, just take a look at your desktop and John’s Background Switcher will get you through it!
Main features include:
- Show single photos or a variety of randomly generated beautiful montages on your desktop
- Choose photos from folders on your Mac, iPhoto albums and events or from the new Photos app
- Rich Flickr, Instagram, SmugMug, Pixabay, Vladstudio, Unsplash, Pinterest, Dropbox, OneDrive (personal) and Google Photos integration
- Media RSS photo feeds (so you can use a great many more photo sites)
- Multiple monitor support (show the same background all monitors, different pictures on each monitor or only on one monitor)
- Switching intervals from every 10 seconds to 7 days
- A variety of post processing effects like grayscale, sepia and desaturation
- Lots of new features in the works for future versions (I have a list as long as your arm!)
If you buy direct you’ll get quicker updates and it’s slightly cheaper. However if you buy from the Mac App Store you’ll benefit from peace of mind with Apple’s stringent review process while updates will be delivered through the macOS update service. The choice is yours but either way you’ll get the same great app!
But Why Is The Windows Version Free?
The Windows version has been effectively in maintenance mode for a few years now and my priority is adding new features to the Mac version (I’ve been a Mac users for a long time myself and my free time is limited). By charging a nominal fee for JBS for Mac I can add photo sites that don’t have free APIs, justify to myself why I stay up late nights working on it when I should be sleeping and it ensures I owe it to you to keep adding new features and making JBS for Mac better with every version. Don’t worry though, selling JBS for Mac doesn’t come anywhere near covering the development costs as you can read here – so by buying a copy you will not be making me rich, but you will be ensuring JBS for Mac keeps getting new features for years to come!
If you’re having problems getting JBS to work, don’t understand how it works or have some cool suggestions that would make JBS better, then don’t keep it to yourself, let me know! Simply fill out the form below:
I really hope you enjoy John’s Background Switcher. I love working on it and my goal is for no more plain, boring backgrounds! 🙂