I don’t know whether I’m more excited about David Beckham moving to Real Madrid or my two weeks holiday in Antigua, starting on Friday. No, wait a minute, I’ve decided. The new season won’t start for a couple of months however I’m going to a place where it’ll be warm all the time, there will be loads of beaches (365 to be precise), lots of coral reefs and did I mention the weather would be great? So it would be fair to say that I can’t wait to get there! The 13 hour flight will be a bit on the tough side but it’ll be worth it.
As is always the case with going on holiday I’ve written a checklist of everything I need to bring with me. Okay, that’s a lie. I’ve got a mental checklist, but it’s not as good as the real thing. There’s the simple stuff like suntan lotion, insect repellent, toothpaste, shorts, Hawaiian shirts, sandals, a football and a camera. But I believe it’s almost impossible to go on holiday without forgetting something. At least, in my experience. Whenever I go hiking in Scotland, if I manage to remember my camera, suntan lotion and insect repellent, then I know it’s going to rain. So I almost deliberately forget one of them to get some sunshine (admittedly it doesn’t always work).
Anyway, just to make sure I don’t forget anything, I’m going to write the list of things I’ll be bringing and if you think there’s anything I’m forgetting, then please post it on the comments section below. Remember, I’m relying on you to keep me on the straight and narrow. Plus, if I forget something important and you didn’t remind me then when I return I’ll start writing 10,000 word articles that ramble on and on and on about nothing. Your fate is in your hands… (Anything in italics has been added since the original post, hover over them to see who suggested them).
- Washing kit (razor, shaving oil, shower gel, deodorant, suntan lotion, after-sun, insect repellent)
- Medical kit (insect bite cream, anti-histamines, ibuprofen, eumovate, imodium, athlete’s foot cream)
- Shorts (3 pairs of “Doctor Livingston I presume!” shorts, 2 pairs of sports shorts, 1 pair of swimming shorts, 1 pair of trunks – to wind up my girlfriend)
- Shirts (5 loud Hawaiian shirts, 1 not-so-load shirt, 4 selected t-shirts, 1 sleeveless t-shirt)
- Trousers (1 pair khaki cargo, 1 pair boot fit blue jeans)
- Shoes (1 pair sports sandals, 1 pair nike football-style shoes, 1 pair semi-smart black leather)
- Headgear (1 camouflaged army bush hat)
- Sunglasses (Oakley of course)
- Football kit (1 deflated football, 1 pump)
- Underwear (as much as I can fit in my suitcase, loads of socks)
- Camera (1 digital SLR, 1 charger for said camera)
- Books (everything I haven’t read on my bookcase, plus mini guide to Antigua)
- Goggles (for swimming in the pool)
- Camelbak (for day-to-day use, dehydration is a killer)
- Electronics (1 phone charger, 1 travel adapter , personal CD player with charger, my favourite tunes)
- Passport (and a copy, ’nuff said)
- Other documents (driver’s license, travel insurance document, national insurance number)
- An umbrella (in case it rains)