Well, here’s a follow up from my previous posting. This is the timeline:
- Thursday: My girlfriend and I are happy living next door to each other.
- Friday: My girlfriend and I happen to see a house we’d have in an estate agent we just happen to go in to.
- Saturday: We go to see the house and love it.
- Sunday: We decide that we want it and speak to my father (a financial adviser) about mortgages and the like. We also decide my girlfriend will sell her house.
- Monday: We go to see the house again and are absolutely sure it’s the one we want.
- Tuesday: We make an offer, it’s accepted. In principle at least, it’s ours!
So there you go. I’m going to have a kick-ass house of my own. With my own garage. With 4 bedrooms and more space than I know what to do with. Oh, and there’s the small matter of actually living with my girlfriend (that’s the easy part, I hope). Who says buying a house is tough in this market? Okay, I realise that the deal could fall through at any time throughout the no doubt lengthy process of actually getting the house for real – but it’s all fun and games.
It was amusing seeing the difference in responses from myself and my girlfriend over the past few days. I was really wanting the house and hoping we’d get it, but just getting on with life as normal and staying cool. My girlfriend felt the same, but she was excited, apprehensive, felt sick, tense and nervous all at the same time. Maybe it’s got something to do with her being from Venus and me from Mars. Maybe it has something to do with the prospect of living with me. Either way, it’ll be interesting to see how it goes over the next couple of months and if we actually do get the house.
And before you ask, no. I won’t turn this into a “John buying his house and going to DIY superstores weblog”. I hate that sort of thing.
I hope you are out tonight to celebrate!
Usual time and place
It would be churlish not to.
Will you turn this website into a “John buying his house and going to DIY superstores” weblog? I hate that sort of thing.
If it’ll wind you up, I’ll consider it…
Congratulations 🙂 I hope it all goes well for your girlfriend and you.
I’m happy for you! Congratulations! Ah, Love!
May I remind you that will be our garage our bedrooms x4 not just yours!!!
nice comment by long suffering girlfriend
How many cars can you fit in a garage?
More importantly, how many bikes?
I can fit one car in, but it’s going to become my gym / bike storage facility. In that case it’ll hold a hell of a lot of muddy bikes (no need to clean it now)!